New: Make a product recommendation quiz in minutes with InteractAI: Make a Quiz Now
In this post we will go through the exact steps to build a product recommendation quiz using AI in 7 minutes. If you’d like to see the old version of the post, building a product quiz from scratch, you can scroll to the bottom of the post to see how that works.
Step 1: Generate quiz outcomes and title
This step involves choosing products you want to have as outcomes in your quiz, then copy/pasting the titles and product descriptions into a ChatGPT prompt. From there it will generate compelling quiz outcomes and an optimized quiz title.
Note: If at any point during this process you already know what you want parts of your quiz to look like, you can insert them where we are using product descriptions.
A. Recommend one product per outcome
This type of quiz shows one product as the recommendation at the end of your quiz. Common examples are “Which watch is right for you?” or “Which spa should you buy?”
Setting up the prompt for one product outcome quiz.
B. Recommend multiple products per outcome
This type of quiz shows 2, 3, 4, or more products per outcome. Common examples are “What’s your skin type?” or “What’s your fashion style?” based on the skin type or fashion style the quiz would then show a selection of products.
Setting up the prompt for multiple product outcome quiz.
Note: All ChatGPT prompts will be in this format.
- Purple Background: ChatGPT prompt not to be changed
- White Highlighted text: Parts of the prompt to change with your own content
Part 1: Generate quiz title
First we will have ChatGPT give us a product quiz title based on the products we want to include as recommendations at the end.
These are my products. If I want to make a quiz that recommends the right products to people, what are 10 ideas for the quiz title and cover photo for this quiz?
Format the quiz titles as:
1. Quiz title: Which (product) is right for you?
2. Quiz title: What is your (product category) type?
Cover photo (What kind of image would represent this quiz? Answer with a two word search term)
Everything below you paste in from their product pages: Paste in as many products as you want to include in the outcomes of your quiz, in this format.
The outcome from part 1 will give you 10 ideas or product quiz titles. Choose the one you like or ask ChatGPT to give you more ideas, rinse and repeat until you have a quiz title you are happy with.
Part 2: Generate quiz outcomes
This step will take our preferred quiz title from part 1 and then create outcomes that include multiple products for each outcome from the list we put in to the first part of the process.
I like “Which gourmet coffee is right for you?” (This is the title you chose from part 1) can you create four (how many outcomes you want) distinct outcomes that include my products for that quiz?
First Print out the quiz title like this
Quiz Title: [Title]
Format the outcomes like this.
Outcome 1 Title: [Title]
Outcome 1 Image: (What kind of photo would represent this result? Answer with a two word search term)
Outcome 1 description: [100 word result description. First two sentences tell the quiz taker in second person which outcome they got and what that means in an informative and friendly tone. Third sentence recommends three (how many products you want recommended in each outcome) specific products for the quiz taker based on their quiz outcome written in second person.]
At the end of part 1 you should have a quiz title, and the outcomes of your quiz printed out within ChatGPT. It will look like this.
Modifications to Outcomes: Run any of the following prompts to edit your outcomes until they are to your liking, run in the same ChatGPT conversation.
- Tone: Keep the same formatting, but Rewrite the outcomes to be (more informative, more fun, more positive, more encouraging, more practical, more witty, more classy, etc.)
- Length: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the outcomes to be (to the point, short and punchy, more informative, provide more explanation)
- Topic: Keep the same formatting. but focus the outcomes more on (topic of your choice, angle you want the outcomes to focus on, etc.)
Here’s my new outcomes after I asked ChatGPT to make the outcomes more fun.
Step 2: Generate quiz questions using ChatGPT
In the same Chat, with the outcomes printed above in your chat, run this prompt, only thing you’d need to change here is the number of questions and answer per question.
Excellent, now write 5 questions that each have four answer choices to determine which outcome is right for a quiz taker. Follow this format.
Question 1: [Question text]
Answer A: [Answer text]
Answer A score: Answer gives a point to: outcome title, outcome title
Modifications to questions: Run any of these prompts to edit your questions until they are to your liking, run in the same ChatGPT conversation.
- Tone: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite my questions in a (friendly, conversational, informative, playful, classy, etc.) tone
- Length: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite my questions to be (short and punchy, in-depth, simple, specific to (topic), etc.)
- Inject your own questions: Keep the same formatting, but add these questions to the quiz (write your questions)
- Subject matter: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the questions to focus more on (style, habits, life, the future, etc.)
Here’s the dialogue in ChatGPT. I generated the questions, then asked “Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the questions to focus more on technical aspects of coffee making.” and you can see the before and after.
Step 4: Generate opt-in form using ChatGPT
Here’s the prompt to generate the opt-in form you can use in your product recommendation quiz.
Now create an opt-in form that will appear at the end of the quiz but before the results and write the opt-in form in this format.
Opt-in form Heading: 10 words or less, ask me if I’d like to join your email list, phrased as a question.
Sub-Heading: 15 words or less, speak in an active voice. Tell me what I’ll get if I join your email list, in context of the subject of this quiz
Modifications to Opt-in form: Run any of these prompts to make edits on your opt-in form copy until it looks like you want it to.
- Tone: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the opt-in form in a (friendly, conversational, informative, playful, classy, etc.) tone
- Length: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the opt-in form to be (short and punchy, in-depth, simple, specific to (topic), etc.)
- Inject your own words: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the opt-in form and tell people (whatever you want to say on the form)
- Subject matter: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the opt-in form to focus more on (style, habits, life, the future, etc.)
Step 5: Generate quiz description using ChatGPT
Here’s the prompt to generate the short description you can use in your product recommendation quiz. You can use the same modifications as the previous steps.
Now write a quiz short description that will appear on the quiz cover and gets people excited to take the quiz and find their product recommendations. Follow this format.
Short Description [25 words enticing me to find my quiz result]
Modifications to Short Description: Run any of these prompts to make edits to your quiz description until it looks like you want it to.
- Tone: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the short description in a (friendly, conversational, informative, playful, classy, etc.) tone
- Length: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the short description to be (short and punchy, in-depth, simple, specific to (topic), etc.)
- Inject your own words: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the short description and tell people (whatever you want to say on the form)
- Subject matter: Keep the same formatting, but rewrite the short description to focus more on (style, habits, life, the future, etc.)
Import Product Quiz to Interact Quiz Builder
With InteractAI you can import the text directly from ChatGPT, it will pull the content into the builder where you can customize the colors, images, and connect your email software for lead generation.
You can see the quiz I created in this example here.
Use InteractAI to access this feature: Make your quiz now
Product Quiz to Recommend one Product
Everything is exactly the same as a product recommendation quiz for multiple products except part 2 of Step 1. Run this prompt to get your outcomes instead of the prompt for multiple products.
I like the title: “Which gourmet coffee is right for you?”
First print out the title like this.
Quiz Title: [Title]
Then ReFormat all the products listed above into outcomes like this.
Outcome 1 Title: [Title – do not change the titles listed above]
Outcome 1 description: [100 word result description. First sentence describes the product without using technical terms. Second sentence describes who this product is best for.]
Old Version: Create Product Recommendation Quizzes from scratch
Product recommendation quizzes increase average order value, sales, and lead generation by numbers ranging from 2x to 10x. They are consistently ranked as one of the best things you can do for your online store to make more money and build your list.
This post is the absolute simplest guide on how to create your own product recommendation quiz so you can get up and running an hour from now and begin seeing the effects of your quiz. This overview is using interact quiz builder, the easiest-to-use and most intuitive product quiz tool, create your account to follow along.
Here are the steps to launching your product recommendation quiz.
- Write a quiz title that gets clicks
- Create results that show recommended product/products
- Write 5-7 quiz questions correlating to the quiz results
- Create your opt-in form page and link it to Klaviyo (or other mailer)
- Integrate with Shopify website (or other E-Commerce site builder)
Write a quiz title that gets clicks
For product recommendation quizzes there are two types of titles.
- The category recommender quiz: This one recommends a group of products that match someone based on which category they fall into.
- The single product recommender quiz: This one recommends one product based on the quiz takers’ needs.
Here is a graphic with examples of each type of quiz title. For additional inspiration we have examples in every category of E-Commerce quiz here.
Best Practice: Don’t re-invent the wheel. Let your products be the differentiator and pick a quiz title that is proven to work. It will save you time and perform better. Within interact we have quiz templates for most categories of E-Commerce that are already designed for conversion, you can start with one of those.
Create results that show recommended product/products
The results pages are where you show the recommended product/products. If you’re using Shopify, the best practice is to create collections of products for each of the outcomes of your quiz. Then tag the product or products for that quiz result to finish the collection. Then inside of interact quiz builder you will redirect the results of your quiz to those product collection pages.
The reason for creating the collection pages in Shopify (or your online store platform) is that it increases sales because people are able to shop directly from those collection pages, it looks exactly like your site, and they are on your site so even if they don’t purchase right away they can browse around for other products.
Resources for this step.
- Integrating interact and Shopify (creating collections pages guide)
- Redirecting quiz results in interact quiz builder
Here is what the setup looks like in Shopify. I have three collections set up, one for each of my quiz results (if we’re doing a skin type quiz with Oily, Combination, and Dry as the three results). Then you can see what that collection page looks like in Shopify.
Write 5-7 quiz questions correlating to the quiz results
Each question of your quiz is determining which quiz result (product/products) is right for the person taking the quiz. The best way to do this is to have 5-7 questions and for each question there is an answer choice that correlates to one of the outcomes.
Correlations are like +1’s, think of them as points being added to the “score” for the result they lead to. The way product quizzes work is that whichever product or category of products has the most correlations (points) at the end of the quiz is the one that is shown as that person’s quiz result.
That way when someone takes the quiz they will have the same chance of getting each outcome and your quiz will accurately recommend products.
Here is what a question looks like for my skin type quiz, and you can see that each answer choice for this question correlates to one of the three results.
Create your opt-in form page and link it to Klaviyo (or other mailer)
At the end of the questions in your product recommendation quiz you can add an opt-in form to build your email list or text list. You can connect these emails directly to Klaviyo or whichever email marketing or text marketing program you use and segment the new subscribers based on which quiz result they get.
With an average opt-in rate of 36.7% this is a cant-miss strategy for building your list.
Here’s what the opt-in form looks like, and how the segmentation works within in interact.
Integrate with Shopify website (or other E-Commerce site builder)
After your quiz is all setup, we recommend embedding it onto a dedicated page on your Shopify store or whichever online store software you use. This is done using an embed code. Then you can send people to that page from your Store home page, social media, and wherever else you promote your quiz.
Here is what it looks like embedded on my Shopify test account online store.
Want to create your own product recommendation quiz?
With interact you not only get access to the easiest-to-use online quiz builder, but we also offer one-on-one strategy help to everyone who signs up with interact. Start your free trial now!